Friday, May 8, 2009

Michelle Obama: "Everyone should have a chief of staff and a set of personal assistants"

Michelle Obama, who recently told the United Nations that Sesame Street is the "best thing I've done so far in The White House", is really enjoying her new life!

The Washington Post reports:

First lady Michelle Obama called her "current life" in the White House "a very blessed situation, because I have what most families don't have -- tons of support all around, not just my mother, but staff and administration. I have a chief of staff and a personal assistant, and everyone needs that."

"Everyone should have a chief of staff and a set of personal assistants," Obama said with a laugh as she spoke before a crowd of business executives meeting today during a "Corporate Voices for Working Families" conference at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington.

Along with the issues of community service and military families, Obama has said as first lady she wants to focus on the struggles of working families.

During her 10-minute speech, Obama advocated for sick leave for parents, flexible work hours for employees and on-site child care, which she said "is something that keeps many of us up at night....You're just wondering where are we going to put our children where we feel like that they're being safe, that they're safe and being loved. That will relieve many of the stresses that parents feel on the job throughout the day."

Must be nice for a woman who remembers as a kid growing on the south side of Chicago being ridiculed for trying to be educated and get good grades.

"I wanted an "A". I wanted to be smart. I wanted to be the person who had the right answer. And I didn't care if it was cool - 'cause I remember there were kids around my neighborhood who would say 'ooh - you talk funny. you talk - like a white girl.' I heard that growing up my whole life.”

Stumble Upon Toolbar submit to reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment