Thursday, February 5, 2009

Obama To "Drop" Charges Against Mastermind of USS Cole Bombings; But After He Meets With Victims Families

Last week we learned that a military judge in Guantanamo Bay refused to heed President Obama's request that all trials for terror suspects be halted.

WaPo reported:

The chief military judge at the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Army Col. James Pohl, said that he found the government's arguments "unpersuasive" and that the case will go ahead because "the public interest in a speedy trial will be harmed by the delay in the arraignment."

The administration had argued that the "interests of justice" would be served by a delay that would allow the government to review the approximately 245 prisoners at Guantanamo to figure out who should be prosecuted and how, and who can be released.

"The Commission is unaware of how conducting an arraignment would preclude any option by the administration," Pohl wrote in an opinion obtained by The Washington Post. "Congress passed the military commissions act, which remains in effect. The Commission is bound by the law as it currently exists, not as it may change in the future."

The decision was lauded by some survivors of the attack on the Cole, who said it illustrated the independence of the military judiciary at Guantanamo. "I'm absolutely delighted," said Navy Cmdr. Kirk Lippold, the former skipper of the Cole. "It proves the military commissions work without undue command influence, and this decision puts us back on track to see an accounting for al-Nashiri's terrorist acts."

Now it appears, the Obama team has found the loophole to force its agenda down the throats of the courts too!

This is an outrage! What is Obama going to tell these people whose innocent family members were violently murdered by the Radical Islamist Murderers?

From Jake Tapper:

ABC News has learned that on Friday, President Obama will likely order the Department of Defense's Military Commission to withdraw charges against terrorist suspect Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri. The charges may later be reinstated in a military commission or pursued in a civilian court. Al-Nashiri will remain in custody.

The announcement will not be made until after President Obama meets with the families of victims of terrorist attacks on 9/11 and on the U.S.S. Cole, where he will assure them that this step is not being done to be lenient towards al-Nashiri. The move is being done to stop the continued prosecution of al-Nashiri in a court system that his administration may ultimately find illegitimate, not for any other reason, sources told ABC News.

Al-Nashiri has been identified as the former Persian Gulf Operations Chief for al Qaeda and the mastermind of the attack on the U.S.S. Cole. In March 2007 he testified in military court that he only confessed to certain crimes because he has been tortured for the previous five years.

Asked for reaction to the news, Commander Kirk Lippold (Ret.), former Commander aboard the U.S.S. Cole when it was bombed on October 12, 2000, told ABC News that "I am concerned about the President considering dropping the charges because it may be indicative that the president does not intend to follow the military commissions process which has undergone extensive legal and legislative review."

"For some reason the administration says what's been expressed through the legislature is not sufficient," Lippold said of the military commissions. "They need to allow the process to go forward."

The 26-year Navy veteran said he found the decision to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay "disappointing," but he seemed willing to hear the president out.

"I'm interested in hearing what his long-term plan is on how he's going to deal with the detainees because he hasn't articulated that," he said. "He may have a clear-cut path that may massage some of the concerns that I know many of the families have right now."
Now remember, this will not make us "safer" as the President thinks, it makes us weaker.

Not to mention that contrary to human rights wackos and the ACLU nutjobs, the enemy combatants in Gitmo DO NOT HAVE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

They have brutally killed innocent Americans and we're supposed say "sorry, you can go home now".

Stumble Upon Toolbar submit to reddit

1 comment:

  1. DEAR READER, before Obama has a chance further to "STIMULATE" GOVERNMENT growth, so as further to DEPRESS ECONOMIC freedom and liberty (by his effort to drive our RECESSION into DEPRESSION as pretext for FURTHER government control), it is essential NOW that both the United States Supreme Court AND Military Joint Chiefs of Staff EXERCISE WHAT IS THEIR ABSOLUTE CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY TO DEFEND THE NATION FROM THE INTERNAL THREAT OF USURPATION. OBAMA'S STEADFAST REFUSAL TO OVERCOME “RES IPSA LOQUITUR” on the issue of either his Kenyan birth and/or Kenyan/British father's citizenship -- by his steadfast refusal to supply his long form birth certificate under seal (compounded by his internet posting of a fake "after-the-fact" short form 'certificate') -- renders him INELIGIBLE TO BE PRESIDENT UNDER ARTICLE 2 OF THE US CONSTITUTION. Being a 14th Amendment "citizen" is not enough. A "President" MUST BE an Article 2 "natural born citizen" AS DEFINED BY THE FRAMERS' INTENT.