Wednesday, September 23, 2009

All Apologies: Obama Uses Word "Torture" Before International U.N. Assembly (Video)



Obama apologized to the UN today for America "acting alone" and for the world's "opposition to specific policies."

Then he said he would never apologize for acting in the interest of America.

(You just did.)

The New York Times posted the transcript:



I have been in office for just nine months, though some days it seems a lot longer. I am well aware of the expectations that accompany my presidency around the world. These expectations are not about me. Rather, they are rooted – I believe – in a discontent with a status quo that has allowed us to be increasingly defined by our differences, and outpaced by our problems. But they are also rooted in hope – the hope that real change is possible, and the hope that America will be a leader in bringing about such change.

I took office at a time when many around the world had come to view America with skepticism and distrust. Part of this was due to misperceptions and misinformation about my country. Part of this was due to opposition to specific policies, and a belief that on certain critical issues, America has acted unilaterally, without regard for the interests of others. This has fed an almost reflexive anti-Americanism, which too often has served as an excuse for our collective inaction.

Like all of you, my responsibility is to act in the interest of my nation and my people, and I will never apologize for defending those interests...

Stumble Upon Toolbar submit to reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment